1. tanker is not within a special area.
2. tanker is more than 50 nm from the nearest land.
3. tanker is proceeding enroute.
4. instantaneous discharge of oil content does not exceed 30 ltrs / nautical mile.
5. total quantity of oil discharged into the sea does not exceed-
•1/ 15,000 of the total quantity of the particular cargo of which the residue formed a part (for existing tankers)
•1/30,000 of the total quantity of the particular cargo of which the residue formed a part (for newtankers)
6. the tanker has in operation an oil discharge monitoring equipment and slop tank arrangement
For a ship of 400 grt and above other than an oil tanker and from machinery space bilges excluding cargop/p room bilges of an oil tanker unless mixed with oil cargo residue-
1. The ship is not within a special area.
2. The ship is more than 12 nautical miles away from the nearest land.
3. The ship is proceeding enroute.
4. The oil content of the affluent is less than 15ppm.
5. The ship has an an oil discharging monitoring and controlling system, oily water separatingequipment, oil filtering equipment or any other installation as required by regulation